The GBI is investigating an officer-involved shooting in Chattooga County after a request from the Chattooga County Sheriff’s Office. On Sunday, December 24, 2023, police were attempting to apprehend a suspect in a murder investigation.  John Wayne Siffles, age 44, of Summerville, GA, was wanted in the death of a woman whose body was found in Chattoogaville, GA earlier that day.   

Preliminary information indicates that the Lookout Mountain Drug Task Force (LMDTF), Chattooga County Sheriff’s Office, and the Summerville Police Department executed a search warrant on Siffles’ home located in the 400 block of Highland Ave., Summerville, Georgia.  When LMDTF agents entered the home, agents saw Siffles with a knife.  Siffles was given numerous verbal commands to drop the knife, and police deployed a Taser.  Siffles refused to drop the knife.  Siffles charged the agents with the knife and was shot multiple times.  Siffles received immediate medical care and was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.  

The GBI Medical Examiner’s Office will perform an autopsy on Siffles. 

The GBI will conduct an independent investigation.  When the investigation is complete, the case will be given to the Chattooga County District Attorney’s Office for review.    


On Christmas Eve the Chattooga County Sheriff’s Office, the Summerville Police Department and Agents with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation began an investigation into a suspicious death. This investigation involved serving search warrants in Chattoogaville and inside the City of Summerville.

As a result of the investigation an arrest warrant was issued and officers from these agencies attempted to serve this warrant. As a result of attempting to serve this warrant on Highland Avenue around 10:30 p.m. an officer involved shooting occurred.

This officer involved shooting is being investigated by the Region 1 Office of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

As more details become available for release they will be shared with local media.

The officer-involved-shooting happened on Highland Avenue according to Summerville Police Chief Harold Tucker.