A fire placed a family out of their home on Christmas after a fire caused massive damage. According to homeowner Patrick Maxedon, his home on North Bellview Road in Rockmart was found to be on fire around d11:30 Wednesday morning. Maxedon added that it appeared the fire began from his hoverboard that was charging while his family had gone out.

Hoover Fire

Polk County Public Safety Director Randy Lacey did not confirm that the fire was caused by the hoverboard, but did say that it appeared the fire was electrical in nature and that a hoverboard that was involved was one that had been recalled.

Reports said that the fire was extinguished with the help of a neighbor. Maxedon said that his neighbor spotted the fire and used a garden hose to help contain it while firefighters were on the way.

There were no injuries reported.

Maxedon added that even though the fire did not get to the entire house, most of their belongs suffered major smoke damage.

hoover 3

According to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, at least 11 reports of hoverboard fires have been reported in the U.S. Several on-line retailers have also removed the product from its inventory.

Numerous airlines have also banned the boards from flights after they said the product’s lithium-ion batteries could overheat and catch fire.