Former Rome High School and University of Georgia football star Adam Anderson was sentenced Monday in Clarke County Superior Court after pleading guilty to sexually attacking two young women.

Anderson pleaded guilty to sexual battery after originally being charged with the rape of the women back in 2021.  One of the alleged rapes occurred in Athens and the other in neighboring Oconee County.   

The plea deal came after negotiations between Athens District Attorney Deborah Gonzalez and Anderson’s lawyer Steve Sadow.  

The court gave Anderson until Sunday to turn himself into the Athens- Clarke County Jail.  Anderson, who has since moved back to Rome following his arrest, asked to postpone his jail term because he said he needed to get his personal affairs in order and he wants to visit with an aunt who won’t be in Rome until later in the week.

The plea entered was part of an Alford plea, which says Anderson maintains his innocence but it was in his best interest to plead guilty.

Anderson was sentenced to two 12-month sentences that will run concurrently.

The D.A. had asked for consecutive sentences.

Before sentencing, Anderson told the court, “I’m sorry for what I did.”

Both the women in the case stormed out of the courtroom after sentencing.

One of the told said that Anderson “traumatized” her and that her life has forever been changed and is afraid to show her face in Athens.

The victim is quoted to say that she was opposed to Anderson being allowed to return to Rome, pointing out his numerous arrests since the alleged rape in 2021.  Anderson was arrested in May 2022 in Cobb County on Charges of DUI and simple assault.  The DUI charges were later dismissed but was sentenced to a year of probation for the assault charge.

Then on June 2, 2022, in Fulton County, he was arrested and charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment, simple battery, theft by taking and reckless conduct. 

The second victim said that the assault has caused her extreme emotional distress and has gone to therapy and contemplated suicide since the events.

She told the judge that she did not agree with the sentence and wanted to admit to the world that Anderson raped her.

Anderson’s lawyer spoke after the proceeding’s saying that Anderson’s pro football career is “definitely not over with.”

Anderson declined to speak with reporters.