Summer is great. The kids are out of school, the weather is nice so you can do lots of fun things outside, and it’s typically when most people get to go on vacations or trips. Summer is just fun! However, all of the fun things we do during the summer are not always budget-friendly. It’s nice to splurge every once in awhile, maybe on a family trip, but those summer splurges can empty out our wallets very quickly. We’ve come up with a few ways for you to have a wonderful summer and, hopefully, end it debt-free!
• Challenge yourself to a no-spend month. Don’t go to the grocery store for one month, except to purchase fresh produce and milk. This will help you save a huge amount on groceries, use up all those things in your pantry, and maybe even come up with some new, creative recipes!
• Choose free activities. There are tons of things going on during the summer, some that can get very expensive fast (taking a family of four to the movies can cost you almost a hundred bucks these days!). Find something fun and free (or low-cost) to do with your family, and the memories will be that much sweeter. Need some ideas to get you started on your frugal-adventure finding? Check out these 101 ideas!
• Try these helpful hints to save energy (and money on your bills!). Your bills add up quickly when you’ve got the AC on full-blast all summer. Try some of these tricks to help lower those costs while still keeping you cool.
• Always plan ahead. Don’t wait until you’re at the busy theme park entrance to purchase your tickets; make sure you check online for deals. You can almost always save up to 25% if you purchase beforehand, and you get to skip the horrible line for tickets and head straight to the lines for rides! (Those lines aren’t so great, either, but at least there’s a fun ride at the end of them!)
• Know when to make your purchases. Need some tools for a DIY project? The best time to shop is right before Father’s Day in early June, when all kinds of home improvement items are on sale. It’s also a good idea to register at sites like eBates.com, because you can get cash back just for purchasing items through their search engine!
• Be smart with your gasoline. We all know gas prices go up during the summer, and this year is certainly no exception, but there are a few ways to help your gas gauge stay away from E a little longer. Check out this post for some great tips on saving at the pump!
Still hoping to find some more summer deals? Get more summer savings ideas here, and, most importantly, have a great summer!