Some Floyd County citizens have reported receiving calls about donations to the Rome Police Benevolence Fund. While the Rome Police Benevolence Fund accepts donations they will never call/email soliciting donations or request your credit card or banking information over the phone or by email.
Here are the top 10 ways to avoid being scammed, per the Better Business Bureau.
1. Never send money via gift card or wire transfer to someone you have never met face- to-face.
2. Avoid clicking on links or opening attachments in unsolicited emails.
3. Don’t believe everything you see.
4. Double check your online purchase is secure before checking out.
5. Use extreme caution when dealing with anyone you’ve met online.
6. Never share personally identifiable information.
7. Resist the pressure to act immediately.
8. Use secure and traceable transactions.
9. Whenever possible, work with local businesses.
10. Be cautious about what you share on social media.