Eight resources were newly added to the Georgia Register of Historic Places in August 2018. Nominations for these resources were approved during an August 24th meeting of the Georgia National Register Review Board, which is charged with evaluating National Register nominations from Georgia prior to their submission to the National Park Service for National Register of Historic Places listing. As Georgia’s state historic preservation office (SHPO), the Historic Preservation Division (HPD) administers the National Register of Historic Places program in Georgia.
The newly-listed resources are:
- Cascade Heights Commercial Historic District, Atlanta, Fulton County – a small, multi-block district with historic resources such as retail commercial buildings, office buildings, gas stations, civic buildings, churches, and multi-family residential. The district is locally significant for its sustained role as the principal commercial center for the Cascade Heights area in suburban southwest Atlanta since the 1930s and was responsible for the social, spiritual and commercial needs of a growing suburban community. The district illustrates changing tastes, needs, and uses over a period of time – spanning streetcar and early automobile subdivision development to completely auto-centric suburban growth in Atlanta.
- East Atlanta Historic District, Atlanta, DeKalb County – a large and diverse neighborhood of single-family houses, apartments, commercial and civic buildings, a park, and a cemetery that straddles the eastern boundary of the city of Atlanta, and the western boundary of unincorporated DeKalb County. Its diverse historic resources and piecemeal development patterns reflect the area’s evolution from rural area, to Atlanta streetcar suburb, to automobile-oriented urban neighborhood. The district is significant as one of Dekalb County and Atlanta’s primary commercial nodes during the early to mid-20th century, and as an embodiment of the trends and changes that shaped and defined Dekalb County and Atlanta’s development during the late 19th and early to mid-20th centuries, including economic and political forces such as transportation improvements, urban consolidation, and integration leading to demographic shifts in the 1960s.
- Sandersville High School, Sandersville, Washington County – a consolidated school that initially served grades 1-11 of the northern half of Washington County following its opening in 1939. With its Colonial Revival-style elements and E-shaped plan, the school is a good example of the work of prolific Atlanta-based architect William J.J. Chase, who designed over 100 schools in the state of Georgia. Its intact E-plan, which housed classrooms, administrative offices, a library, labs, and an auditorium (the largest in the county), along with later outbuildings, conveys the school consolidation that occurred in response to education concerns in the state of Georgia in the early 20th century and the expansion of those consolidated schools over time.
- Atlanta-Fulton Central Library, Atlanta, Fulton County – the library system’s central library and headquarters building located in the heart of downtown Atlanta and opened to the public in 1980. The massive, sculptural public building was the last completed work of master architect Marcel Breuer, as well as Breuer’s only known work in Georgia. Additionally, its hard-edged geometric angles, few windows which often appear as voids, widespread use of concrete, and broad stretches of exterior wall interrupted by deep recesses make it an excellent example of the Brutalist style in Atlanta.
- Oconee Street School, Athens, Athens-Clarke County – an elementary school built in 1909 and designed by architect William E. Spink to serve the East Athens mill community. The school is a good example of the early 20th century urban public school type, and the property also includes a 1956 “cafetorium” designed by Heery & Heery Architects. It is the only extant example of the early 20th-century school construction boom in Athens and the only existing purpose-built school building for Athens City Schools.
- M.C. Kiser Company Building, Atlanta, Fulton County – a three-story masonry commercial building constructed to house the M.C. Kiser Company’s Shield Brand Shoe line in 1923. The building, which consisted of wholesale shoe retail on the ground floor and manufacturing and distribution operations on the upper two floors and in the walkout basement, is representative of the two-part commercial block type. Additionally, the building’s intact thick exterior masonry walls, heavy timber interior construction, and fire doors provide a good example of slow-burning construction, which facilitated the building’s varied functions. It is a rare surviving example of Atlanta’s booming early 20th-century mercantile industry.
- Lookout Mountain Hotel, Lookout Mountain, Dade County – a grand resort hotel, nicknamed the “Castle in the Clouds,” is perched atop the western brow of Lookout Mountain in northwest Georgia. Its crenellated towers, parapeted gables, false half-timbering, and stucco cladding are among the elements representing the Tudor Revival style of the hotel, which was designed by prominent local architect, R.H. Hunt. Following its construction in 1927, it served as a recreation hub and represented the amenities developed as a result of the 1920s auto-tourism boom in the area and the trend of grand resort getaways for the wealthy.
- English Avenue School, Atlanta, Fulton County – a two-story, brick, Jacobethan Revival style school building located at 672 English Avenue in Atlanta. It was built in two phases in 1911 and 1923, designed by the Atlanta architectural firms of Edwards & Walter and Daniell & Beutell, respectively. The school is significant as one of the largest public elementary facilities constructed by the Atlanta Public School system to serve Atlanta’s students during an important period of transition in the development of educational facilities in Atlanta. As a school that was formally converted from a Caucasian to an African-American school in 1950, and also as the location of a December 12, 1960 bombing that is believed to have been racially motivated, English Avenue School is also significant for its association with demographic changes as well as shifting dynamics in public education in the city of Atlanta and across the south during the mid-20th century.
For photographs and additional information on these r