I know you’ve all heard of ‘spring cleaning’, but this year I’m thinking a fall cleaning is going to make for a better winter. Since winter is just around the corner and we’re going to be stuck in the house for a few months, it’s really the perfect time to get the house in order.
Fall cleaning to-do list:
- Check fireplaces and heaters to be sure they are in good condition for the cold weather
- Shampoo or steam clean rugs and carpets – once or twice a year is sufficient
- Dust everything
- Clean window treatments – check labels to be sure curtains are washable
- Wash pillows – check labels
- Replace summer clothes with your winter wardrobe
- Check fire safety devices – replace batteries if needed
Once you’ve given the house a thorough cleaning, you may find that you have stumbled upon a few items worth getting rid of.
What to do with all that junk once you’ve cleaned:
- Old clothes can be sent to The Salvation Army
- Gently worn clothes can be sold at consignment shops – a great way to put a little extra cash in your pocket for the holidays
- Have a yard sale
- eBay – perfect for books, toys, art, and antique items