Eighteen family farms were honored last week during the 25th annual Georgia Centennial Farm Awards Ceremony in Perry.
Farm owners and their historic properties were recognized in an event hosted by the Georgia Historic Preservation Division, Georgia Farm Bureau, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia EMC, Georgia Forestry Commission, and Georgia National Fair and Agricenter, with support from the Farm Bureau Women’s Leadership Committee, on the inaugural day of the 2018 Georgia National Fair.
Farms hold a central role in the heritage of our state, having formed the economic, cultural, and family foundation for generations of Georgians. All farms earning recognition have continuously operated for 100 years or more.
More than 530 farms have been recognized through the Georgia Centennial Farm Program since its inception in 1993.
Recognition is given to farm owners through one of three distinguished awards: the follow Centennial Heritage Farm Awardhonors farms owned by members of the same family for 100 years or more and are listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The order Lyrica online usa Centennial Farm Award does not require continual family ownership, but farms must be at least 100 years old and listed in the NRHP. The Centennial Family Farm Award recognizes farms owned by members of the same family for 100 years or more that are not listed in the NRHP.
Below are the 2018 Centennial Farm award recipients.
Georgia Centennial Heritage Farm Award:
· Lebanon Plantation, Chatham County
Georgia Centennial Family Farm Award:
· Darsey Family Farm, Appling County
· Malbone Farms, Bartow County
· Hillhouse Farms, Cherokee County
· Chas H. Cannon Family Farm, Colquitt County
· Cleveland Farm, Crawford County
· Lewis Farm, Crisp County
· Muse Farm, Houston County
· Harper-McWhorter Farm, Irwin County
· Merk Farms, Jackson County
· Jimmie L. and Ann B. Cowart Farm, Jenkins County
· Old Home Place, Mitchell County
· Ruffin Family Farm, Monroe/Upson County
· Triple H Family Farm, Peach County
· Rutland Farms, Polk County
· Max E. Beverly Farm, Thomas County
· Waller Farms, Washington County
· Wood-Watson Farm, Wilcox County
Anyone interested in nominating a farm for recognition should visit www.georgiacentennialfarms.org to download an application, or contact Sarah Love, at (770) 389-7856 or email@example.com. The postmark deadline for applications is May 1 of each year.