Shorter University: Campuses closed Mon & Tues due to Hurricane Irma. Mandatory evacuation in effect for resident students. Per email to students: “All Shorter campuses close 9 p.m. Sunday. Sports events, classes, campus activities and campus visits are canceled Monday and Tuesday (Sept. 11-12). There is a mandatory evacuation for Rome Campus for resident students by noon Sunday. Students without an evacuation plan should come by the Housing office between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday.”
Per the Shorter University Parent Page: “The safety of your/our student is our primary concern. Power outages caused by winds, possibly for an extended period of time, is the reason that campus will close Sunday night.”
From Rome City Schools on the storm and next week: “We are canceling all field trips and all off-campus evening activities on Monday, due to the anticipated weather resulting from Hurricane Irma.
-We will make a decision Sunday concerning all on-campus after school activities, including the Aspire after school program.
-Also, we will be watching the weather forecasts and make a decision Sunday on whether school will be in session Monday.
From Floyd County Schools: “Concerning Hurricane Irma, we will continue to closely monitor and work with emergency management over the weekend to make a decision as soon as we possibly and practically can.”
From Cartersville City Schools: “Because of the unpredictability of this storm (Irma), we will wait to make a final decision until Sunday, Sept. 10, at 2 p.m. A call will go out updating parents and students on the school status for Monday and Tuesday via our automated notification system. Also, the update will be posted on our website and social media neworks and relayed to news media outlets. Information on extra-curricular activities will be released at the same time.”
Bartow County Schools to decide on Monday classes by 2 p.m. Sunday.
From Model High: “The Third Annual Northwest Georgia Marching Exhibition scheduled for Sept. 12 has been canceled because of the threat of Hurricane Irma in our area.”
Monday’s March to the Mountain canceled by weather: ‘It is with deep sadness that we have made the very difficult decision to cancel the 2017 March to the Mountain 9/11 Memorial walk because of the threat of inclement weather. We have been advised by our county leaders that harsh weather is very likely in our area, and public safety is our main concern. We are working quickly to notify each of our registrants, volunteers, and sponsors of this change, and would greatly appreciate your help in spreading the word. We look forward to next year’s March, and hope that you will join us. We are grateful for your support, and very thankful for your understanding.”